Monday, December 7, 2015

A Chapter Ends and a New One Begins

This semester has been full of reading. Whether it be the lessons from "Real-Time Marketing" or the importance of "Measuring What Matters", the books that I have read for this semester of school have been very informative and easy to read, surprisingly. The books all cover almost the same material, but each book harps on a certain aspect of PR and social media tactics. The reading was never something that I would do on my own, but when I did read for the chapter quizzes, I would find myself noticing instances in the real world and my life that applied to the books teachings.

The book "Measure What Matters" is the book we have just finished and I really liked chapter 10 with measuring employee relationships. This summer for my internship, one thing I noticed about Fox was they never really asked for their employee input or showed concern for the employees relationships in the workplace. I am not saying that Fox is wrong for not keeping in touch with their employees relationship with their job, but if they wanted to make themselves better, that would be one way.

Measuring employees relationships, according to the text is "important because employee morale and sentiment are closely tied with sales and profit."

When a companies executive members and superiors show concern and genuine care for the well-being of their subordinate employees, that really tightens the camaraderie around the office and builds trust between co-workers. Employees are the backbone of the business and without them, the grunt work can't be done. Maintaining the relationship with the employees is when the measurement part comes into play. The better measuring tools we use, such as surveys, are key in coming up with data to measure and better our relationship with our employees.

These books have all taught me something unique about the public relations field and isn't that what we want from a book? To at least be able to take away one thing from each of those books would be three lessons that I didn't know before hand. The books serve as a guide to successful marketing and PR, but it is up to me to execute those guidelines and do so correctly and ethically.

No comments:

Post a Comment