Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Share This With All Your Friends

Reading is never fun as a hobby, but it is important for a good grade. When I pick up a book for class, there is a pivotal point in the beginning of the reading. If it is boring and I cannot relate to it, I might as well return the book because there is no way I will be able to read the whole thing. On the other hand, if it it is interesting and it resonates with me in some fashion, then I might not be able to put the book down. The book in class that we are reading is the book, "Share This" which is a handbook for public relations and social media. The books first chapter talked about how PR and media are changing due to the social media realm and how its impact is affecting the overall job market. The effects of social media, as from my other posts, are so large it is unbelievable. A simple tweet, something with 140 characters or less, could transcend something like an entire industry. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn, the list goes on. All of these social media outlets are all ways for us to create, maintain and continue relationships with people. Sharing memories, moments, achievements, or just information is the way of the world now and according the book, that is the way it should be. I agree with the book, because when we share moments and network with one another, that is making the world a better and more efficient place. Social media was the only way I could stay in contact with my parents, family and friends while I was gone all summer in California. When my dad found out I was going away, he gave me the old "Well back in my day.." spiel and how fortunate I was to be able to use the resources in my time. "Share This" is a book that catches my interest and can be related to our everyday lives because most of us have some sort of social media. In this article, the data given says 67 percent of people between 18-29 have social media as of 2013. That number has probably drastically increased due to the rise of Snapchat, YikYak and Twitter. We as a generation and people will find out news through social media before we can get home to see it on TV or in the newspaper the next morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment